Saturday, August 27, 2011

Are you feeling fancy?

Earlier this week I had a surplus of zucchini and tomatoes. Isn't it a glorious time of year? I did a quick search the other day and found a NY Times article on Zucchini Tians.

Incidentally, a tian is a type of french pan, shallow and oval. I actually don't own one but I still believe I made a tian. I believed in Santa until I was 10 years old so really, I'm a believer even when evidence is presented to suggest otherwise.

Doesn't it feel so fancy to say you made a tian? So French, so sophisticated. Here's the deal. Have you seen ratatouille? You know, the cartoon movie with the rat who wants to be a chef in Paris, yeah that one. Well a tian looks fairly similar to the ratatouille the rat makes in the movie. How's that for fancy?

Now that I've whet your appetite, after mentioning a rat, let's jump into the how-to.

Start with a couple of these.



Slice 'em up or if you feel like it dice 'em up. I was feeling lazy so sliced it is.



   That'll do it. Now toss them in a pan with some olive oil.


During the final minute or two toss in some chopped garlic. I used the jarred stuff - again lazy.

In the meantime slice up your zucchini and tomatoes, evenly. Now it's time to assemble. Alternating the veggies line them up in a pan. Instead of laying the onions on the bottom I smushed them in between the zucchini and tomatoes, like so.


As you may notice my definition of "even slices" is quite liberal.  Bake off until the veggies are cooked through.

Top with some grated parmesan cheese for an amazing experience.



Zucchini and Tomato Tian
Adapted from NY Times

Serves 6

Ingredients
2 large or 3 small sliced zucchinis
3 medium tomatoes sliced
2-3 onions sliced
2 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Slice onions and heat in medium heat pan with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to flavor. Saute until translucent about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic for a minute and turn off heat.

Slice zucchini and tomatoes. Spray an oven safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. To assemble: alternate zucchini, tomatoes and onion mix until snug in the baking dish.

Bake for 45-60 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment