Friday, July 15, 2011

Vegetable Lasagna

Happy Friday! I am enjoying a diet coke and a day off of work and thought this is the perfect time to tell you about a new recipe.

Each week we get an email detailing the contents of the CSA and I attempt to create a menu based on the veggies. Lately, it's been a scramble to stay on top of all the veggies, especially the salad greens! Currently, our CSA is brimming with beautiful yellow squash and zucchini. A quick epicurious.com search produced a fresh summer lasagna. Since I have the benefit of an air conditioner I had no problem firing up the oven and giving it a whirl.

The major stars (I didn't grab everything, oy!)

see what I mean about the squash?

The recipe is exceptionally easy and if I had been thinking more clearly I would have added the fresh basil I had in the fridge, doh! Not to worry it was zipped into a delicious pesto. Also, the original recipe called for roasted red pepper which I promptly forgot to pick up and lowfat goat cheese that I decided to swap with low fat mozzarella. Although I love goat cheese and am sure it would be wonderful in this  I wasn't just in the mood people.

Assembly is so easy. I couldn't be bothered to par-boil the lasagna as my dishes were already piling up the day I made this, just dump a little more sauce in there. Also, the squash hold so much water there's no need.




I actually used two smaller pans so I could pop one into the freezer for another day.


Viola! The lasagna was great and we didn't miss the ricotta that typically accompanies lasagna. Two critiques, a. I remain unmoved to parboil lasagna and create an even bigger mess but the top layer is a little crunchier than el dente - suggestions? b. I could have stood for more black olives, they were so delicious and really the amount called for is not enough.

Vegetable Lasagna
Adapted from a Self recipe

7 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup pitted black olives
1 Tb. chopped fresh thyme
1/2 Tb. dried basil
1/2 Tb. dried oregano
2 tsp. minced garlic
4 cups prepared pasta sauce
1lb whole-wheat lasagna
2 small zucchini (mine were more like large), diced small
2 small yellow squash (ditto here on the large), diced small
3/4 cup roasted red pepper
1/4 cup parmesan
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375. Mix first six ingredients in bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside. Spread enough pasta sauce to cover the bottom of a 8 x 11 baking pan, or two smaller if you want to be like me. Add one layer of lasagna, add layer of diced squash and red pepper. Spread mozzarella evenly. Repeat layers and finish with lasagna, sauce and parmesan.
Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and finish baking for 10 more minutes or until the top browns. Let stand for 10 minutes and then serve.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment