Monday, January 30, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Bread & Weekend Update

This weekend has been coo-coo. I dragged Joel all around Ithaca to find cheap and used goods (read: Salvy's and Ithaca ReUse) and then chatted his ear off about the things I didn't buy but thought I should, then finally was a whirlwind of starting and finishing projects and cooking up a storm. Seriously, I'm tired just thinking about it - so I thought I'd update you and share another quick bread. You all know Joel adores quick bread and I aim to make him happy happened to have the old bananas.

Quick sidebar - I have a total blog crush and got sucked into reading Katie over at Bower Power. Seriously, I'm embarrassed how much time I've spent on her website in between my projects this weekend giggling along with her posts. That gurl is funny. I wish I was half as funny. Oh and her house. to. die. for. Anywho, she's totally reinvigorated me with her thrift-shopping ways.

Like I said I coerced my man-friend to go with me and tried to tease out of him the level of excitement and reverence thrifting deserves. I think we can all agree it's a success that he once again tags along with my strange adventures. Picture me oo-ing and aah-ing over someone's former dresser or kitchen table and him remaining engaged in the conversation-while-secretly-dreaming-of-running. I only managed to pick up a few things, a new glass canister to hold our steel cut oats, a small pitcher for my spring display (I'm seriously dying inside waiting for spring, come on April May), and a white Pier One serving tray that I will show you at the end of the post.  However, there was a pair of matching lamps that I may go back for at $10 a pop and hope for a sale because I am a cheapskate. I have visions of a PB redo. Also, there was a huge and I mean huge ceramic lamp that could use some love but would look divine on my sideboard. Stay tuned folks.

On to the real reason for today's post...banana bread. I have several favorite recipes for banana bread and one includes oatmeal. Naturally, I decide to try a new recipe - yipee. I like trying new things. I found this goodie by digging through cooking light. Don't worry I have a non-cooking light treat at the end.

Here we go.


This is *almost* all of the ingredients - doh! I forgot a few things for the line up. Cooking light did not call for vanilla in its recipe and I called foul and dumped some in. You should too - vanilla and banana bread are like bert and ernie or peanut butter and chocolate. It just makes sense. Silly cooking light. 


Obviously with a household with two adults a double batch is in order. Actually, I always do this to save time as I mentioned Joel insists on being knee deep in quick bread at all time. Often his mother helps out and pitch-hits by having a loaf or two ready every time we see her - thanks! Seriously, the man loves his breads and carbs. Quick breads freeze really well so I made one regular loaf and some muffins to freeze the muffins so that he could defrost one or two or six as his heart desires. 


Mix up the gooey stuff. 


Add naners, oatmeal, and milk. 


The dry goods take a whack at the mix. 


Don't forget to scrape the bowl. 


Then I decide to un-cooking light the whole thing and tossed in some dark and milk chocolate chips I had laying around. Chocolate and bananas are my favorite. 



Bake, bake, bake. 


Tada! Also, can someone help a sister out and hook me up with a photography class? Seriously, the blue light - ugh. I'm clueless here (you knew this). I love the new camera but honestly, what do I do here? People, I am not going to READ a manual. I am too busy painting chair legs and talking about spring decor in January, in upstate New York. 


In three hours Joel ate two muffins at which time I informed him the muffins were for freezing not for eating. Then he lobbed off a slice of the loaf. That's my man. 


























Here's the money shot. And by money shot I mean me showing off my $2 tray from the ReUse store. Please ignore the blue light coming from behind.

Please do try this bread it's so good and dump in some chocolate for good measure. It's the right thing to do.

Banana Oatmeal Bread
Adapted from Cooking Light

Yields 18 servings

Ingredients
1 cup packed brown sugar
7 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large egg whites or 1/3 cup egg whites from a carton
1 egg
3 extra ripe bananas mashed
1 cup regular oats
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4-1/2 bag of chocolate chips, optional
non stick cooking spray

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray pan or muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl mix brown sugar, oil, egg whites, and egg together using hand mixer or whisk. Add the mashed bananas, oats, milk, and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Lightly measure the flour and toss into mixing bowl as well as the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon. Mix until ingredients are moist. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour ingredients into loaf pan or muffin tin. Bake until wooden spoon comes out clean about 70 minutes for loaf pan and 22 minutes for muffins.

Cool for 10 minutes before removing from baking dish and cool on wire rack.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I thought I would stalk you back :)

    This looks super yummy. Can't wait to try it out!

    Also, I too have a crush on Katie Bower! I refer to her as my slightly older twin in Georgia. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Your blog is sweet- I cannot wait to see what you have going on over there next!

      Delete