Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tabbouleh

Do you ever have a strange craving for something that you don't really eat or think you like? Anyone, anyone? Just me - cool just checking.

Well that's what happened with me and Tabbouleh. I had tried it a few times and found the flavors to not meld well in my mouth. I didn't care for the commanding flavor of the mint sprinkled throughout. Naturally, I've been craving this. 

Step one: look up recipes for "Tabouli" ----> notice the incorrect spelling. This is key. 
Step two: find few recipes of help. Even epicurious.com was unhelpful. Humph. 
Step three: buy some bulgur wheat and wing it. 

Let's start with the finished product and work backward


Turns out this experiment without meaningful and/or helpful directions turned out really well!

Here's how I did it. 


Start with some of these.


Soak some of these. Actually, this is my favorite part. I put on the teapot and soaked the bulgur for 30 minutes or until I remembered them and they looked puffed and were enjoyable to eat. 


Dump in some fresh veggies. 



Dump in as much parsley as you can stand or a whole bunch. 

Mix up a quick and lemony vinaigrette.



Voila! Let me tell you this is so good. I love it. I've surfed around the web once I figured out the real spelling and found there are so fun things I could add next time, most notably cumin. Also traditionally mint leaves are part of Tabbouleh but that's not my thing but feel free to go for it. 

Amy's Tabouli or Tabbouleh Recipe
Yields: a lot!

Ingredients

2 cups dried bulgur wheat
2  cups very hot water
small bunch of sliced scallions
1 cup diced cucumbers 
1 cup diced tomatoes 
1 bunch parsley 

Simple Lemon vinaigrette
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup red wine or apple cider vinegar 
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper 

Soak bulgur wheat in very hot water for about 30 minutes. 
Meanwhile, chop vegetables and set aside. Whisk vinaigrette. 
Toss vegetables, parsley and vinaigrette into bulgur. 
Cover with plastic wrap over salad to help prevent drying out.

Enjoy! 






1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up to Fusion Fridays! I fell in love with Tabbouleh when I was in cooking school...yours looks great!

    Drop back by on Monday for my Weekend Wrap Up, and check out my favorites from the weekend...I

    just might feature your link! http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete