Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Very Berry Sorbet

Lately I've been craving a frozen treat and I realized my ice cream maker was getting a little dusty from neglect. I searched for inspiration and found it with Tartlette Blog.

As a quick aside, how beautiful is this woman's photography? It blows me away. So gorgeous.

I switched up a bit of her recipe by reducing the sugar and adding a smidge of vodka. Why vodka? Well my good friend Gretchen is an experienced ice cream and sorbet maker  and tipped me off to this trick. Homemade icy treats that lack fat will freeze like a rock. Umm, not exactly the consistency I'm going for and as Gretchen clued me into vodka helps the treat not freeze all the way solid. Score! I add a very small amount, about one to two tablespoons of vodka.

Ok I'm getting ahead of myself. Start by combining 1lb of berries, I used frozen, with two cups of water, 1/2 cup of sugar in saucepan.


















Bring to a quick boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.


















Now add the vodka and the juice of one lemon and blend in blender. At this point you may want to run through a strainer to rid the mixture of seeds. You know how I roll and I clearly skipped this step.

























Process in ice cream maker for about 30 minutes. I suggest a very cold ice cream maker - I froze mine over night - if you haven't allowed for that then I suggest allowing the berry mixture to cool in refrigerator.


















Doesn't that look fabulous? It was so refreshing and a delicious treat.

























I stored the sorbet in these cute little freezer bell jars, another handy tip from Gretchen, that I found at Wal Mart.


















Oh and since the entire mixture wouldn't fit I had to eat some straight-away. Such a hard life I know.

I think I'm going to whip up sherbet next, yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment