Friday, April 6, 2012

Apple Pie Oatmeal

On the weekends I like to make breakfast a bit more special than a rush weekday breakfast. Most weekends that includes steel cut oats. It takes a bit longer to cook up and last weekend I was in the mood to dress it up a bit. I ventured over to Oh She Glows and found an oatmeal recipe for Apple Pie Oatmeal. I was in! 

An aside, Oh She Glows has really great recipes and they tend to be "clean" and vegan.  She is also a very sweet and body-positive which I really appreciate and enjoy! 

On to the goods. I did tweek the recipe a bit based on what I have on hand. Check it out. 


















This is a non-recipe-recipe because it's so easy and mostly throwing a few things together. It turned out deliciously!  I hope you give it a try.


 















Apple Pie Oatmeal
Adapted from Oh She Glows

2 servings

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2-1 cup milk
1/2 cup no-sugar added applesauce
2 apples, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup


Simmer steel cut oats in water until almost cooked through (this takes about 20 minutes). Add milk and applesauce. Simmer until cooked through you may need to add more milk to cook oatmeal through. Add cinnamon, ginger, lemon juice, chopped apples and stir through. Place in bowls and add walnuts and syrup on top. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment