Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies & Fabric Update

I love any excuse to bake and luckily the holidays provide me with the perfect excuse. Recently I baked up some delicious Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. These things are killer and taste like brownies only better. Seriously. I've never given someone a chocolate crinkle cookie and not had them fall over and die in front of me because they loved them so much.


These require no butter and instead call for oil which is a little easier for me since that means I don't need to remember to take the butter out of the fridge and bring to room temperature. Does anyone else have that problem? Every. single. time. I have this problem. Anywho basically no planning for room temperature butter necessary. You do need to plan time for the batter to cool in the fridge before rolling out so some planning is necessary. Ugh!

Scroll to the bottom for the recipe.

Thanks everyone on your input for the chair. Great news, we've decided which fabric! So initially, both J and I leaned toward Option A, the damask print, because it was neutral and still fun. But upon further inspection I decided that this would be more difficult for a few reasons. One, the white is slightly see-through and I feared I'd need to put white muslin or some craziness under the fabric. Since I am an expert reupholster have never done this before I thought that added difficulty seemed stupid. Also, I have dreams of buffalo check in my life and I feared the damask would clash with this.

Look at how dreamy these prints I stole from pinterest.com are...


I love the idea of curtains from buffalo check. Maybe when I don't have a wall of windows to wrestle with in my life I'll sew me up some. 



This throw blanket is perfect in a large buffalo print. 



These chairs kill me. If I was reupholstering this shaped chair for sure I would use that fabric.

So in the meantime I would settle for a red buffalo check pillow for Christmas on the chair. For that reason I decided against the damask.

We have plans of buying a new couch soon-ish. My plan is to buy a white or tan couch - crazy I know - but I will make sure the fabrics are washable. Since I plan to stay so neutral with the couch we landed on Option B.



I'm a little delusional and hope this pattern will be a bit more forgiving during the reupholster. Since, I'm generally underestimate the effort necessary for most projects that's probably a bit naive but that's where I like to live. bwhaahaha. Added bonus! JoAnn Fabrics is selling this at 40% off the regular price and I just got a coupon for 20% my purchase including sale items - SCORE! So hopefully I can land this fabric for a steal.

As promised the recipe. I end up just googling this

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Adapted from All Recipes


Ingredients
·       1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
·       2 cups white sugar
·       1/2 cup vegetable oil
·       4 eggs
·       2 teaspoons vanilla extract
·       2 cups all-purpose flour
·       2 teaspoons baking powder
·       1/2 teaspoon salt
·       1/2 cup confectioners' sugar


      Directions
     
     Mix together cocoa powder, white sugar, and oil in medium bowl until combined. Beat eggs in one at a time and then add the vanilla. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt then slowly mix into cocoa mixture. 

    Cover dough and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or better yet over night. When the dough is cooled form into small balls and roll in confectioners' sugar. Be sure to be generous with the powdered sugar, more is more people. 
   
     Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. I like mine just cooked so they melt in your mouth but feel free to bake for 12 minutes. Let cookies rest of pan for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rake otherwise they are too soft and will break. 

    Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. Amy- an note about these cookies from my mom, the expert on all things baked: they don't store well, so you need to plan to eat the quickly! Not generally a problem at my house!!!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete