Monday, October 10, 2011

Banana pancake oatmeal

I just realized I have never talked about oatmeal on the blog -  zut alors! Oatmeal is such a central part of my life and I eat it for breakfast easily 4 times a week. I have strong feelings about oatmeal and generally stick with what I know in terms of toppings.

My rules about oatmeal:
1. No flavored oatmeals! I much prefer the rolled oats and add what I like to it. Also, I've noticed the oats are much hardier for whatever reason the flavored packs' oatmeal is sliced into tiny pieces. Strange. Added bonus, the rolled oats in the big round barrel packaging is much, much cheaper.

2. Steel cut oats are a fun weekend treat. I'm weird. End of story. But seriously, if you haven't tried steel cut oats give them a whirl. They take longer to cook, hence the weekend part, but are chewy and awesome.  I typically buy steel cut oats in bulk rather than in the oatmeal isle because they are cheaper in bulk.

3. Add delicious toppings and enjoy!

Like I said I am generally fairly boring in my toppings and was even in a rut. Most days I add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, frozen blueberries, and milk. If I remembered I may add a dash of cinnamon. When we had a plethora of apples I would substitute a chopped apple for the blueberries for some crunch.  That's about as crazy as I got.

Well this weekend inspiration hit and I made this:


How amazing does that look? I'm calling it banana pancake oatmeal and it was heaven. I'm obsessed. I'm breaking out of my oatmeal rut and exploring other possibilities. Stay tuned, I am thinking this needs to be a regular feature of the blog. How perfect is that for fall and *gulp* winter?


So what is in it? Steel cut oats, half a sliced banana, 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts, and 1 tablespoon of real maple syrup. In all honesty, this bad-boy could handle a whole sliced banana but do what you like.

Now it's your turn.

Whip it up and let me know what you think!

What is your favorite oatmeal?

4 comments:

  1. That does look pretty yummy! One day you're going to make the best old person at the home; you already like all the mushy foods that don't require teeth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel said that people without teeth don't eat nuts, "unless you soak them and then they could probably gum them." FYI.

    Also it's so yummy, you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oatmeal is a family fav!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! I've got to give it a try! Thanks so much for sharing this @ Show & Share! I am so happy that you did!

    ReplyDelete